Re: RARA-AVIS: Big Question

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 19 Dec 2001

Forstater, Mathew:

> I have never read anything by Paretsky, Leonard, Parker, Ellroy, Grafton
> (except a short story here or there from an anthology). Not to mention
> the Lansdales, Hiassens, Jacksons, etc. So my question is: Given what I
> love (the old classics above), am I missing anything?

Mat, Of course Chandler and Hammett wrote series. George Pelecanos (a list member), Michael Connelley, the Richard Stark Parker novels and Lawrence Block's Scudder books are list favorites though they all have continuing characters. Most like early Elmore Leonard or older authors such as Charles Williams or even John D McDonald's stand alones as well as those in his Travis McGee series. I'm surprised you haven't read any Ross McDonald as he often is included in a holy trinity along with Hammett and Chandler.

I don't think most list members consider Hiaasen Grafton or Paretsky hard boiled. People tend to really like Ellroy or hate him. A lot of list members really like Lansdale though I don't know if he think he fits into the mold of the classics you seem to want. Even his most defenders think Robert Parker has really slipped since his first seven or eight books.

I used to read Ambler. His typical plot is a nebbish thrown into a situation he can't control. I liked him then. I don't know how I would feel about him now. Mark