RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #983 - Mosley

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 29 Nov 2001

>I believe Marianne is English
OK, chillun - once and for all, Marianne is a weird cross-genre-Canadian with long-term British residence. (Canadians are often very touchy about being Canadian for reasons that are off-topic.)

I phrased that badly. Moseley also feels _very_ American and southern to me in general terms. My real question was about the historical status of Easy Rawlins, specifically. Easy's setting is, in theory, half a century ago. A long time. It _feels_ additionally foreign to me because I read it as belonging to that era, and I find many of Easy's social attitudes surprising in 21st century terms, though appropriate to their time. But the world that he lives in is one which is entirely outside my personal experience, anyway. I picked up on the word "foreign" and wondered whether it was simply because of the racially-specific nature of the setting, or whether the passage of time is a part of its foreignness?

Not having had enough coffee yet this morning, I send this in hope, rather than confidence, that I've clarified things a bit.

Marianne