RARA-AVIS: Re: Ads and writing...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 29 Nov 2001

Bill wrote:

>This Starr contest is the first time we've ever done a contest on the
>list. I'm all for list-members getting free copies of books, and the quid
>pro quo is that the publisher wants a bit of copy sent around a couple of
>times. Fair enough, says I. We'll try it out and see how people like it.
>If you have any comments about the contest or commercialization, please
>drop me a note in private mail. If I'm offered any more contests, I'll
>decide how to proceed based on what I've heard.

Go for it, chief. Just keep the cross-posted spam and even, lately, entire threads that fill other lists off this one. Some lists, that's about all they are these days.

As for what sort of life suits a writer best, I'm pretty much convinced it isn't so much the life you live, as how you live it. We all know guys who are constantly trying to prove how full and varied their life is, and how rough and tough they are, and all that other rather pathetic and silly bleating, and there's no proof these guys write any better than anyone else. Imagination, and actual understanding of the human condition and genuine curiosity and empathy are the great levellers.

In the end, writers write. It isn't how they got there that ultimately matters, it's what they write that matters.