Re: RARA-AVIS: John Francis Cuddy II

From: Jeremiah Healy (
Date: 27 Nov 2001

        The Cuddy character is based on a combination of my dad and an uncle. My dad was a military police captain, among other things, during WW II, my uncle a fullback for Vince Lombardi (high school level) and an insurance investigator. I combined these two men whose sense of courage, honor, and commitment I could picture well, then updated him to Vietnam
(for age reasons, but also because I'd been a lieutenant and eventually captain of MP's myself, though never overseas).

        On a different note, my stand-alone, non-Cuddy private-eye thriller, TURNABOUT (Five Star Books, December 15th) just received a strong review in the November 26th Publishers Weekly, page 42).

        Thanks again for inviting me to participate on this list.