Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

"Joseph Hansen's Brandstetter books, Stephen Greenleaf's Marsh Tanner, JDM's Travis McGee, Dewey's Mac series, Pronzini's Nameless... and where are we with Lansdale's Hap and Leonard now? They all went beyond six or seven."

Haven't read enough of the Mac books to say, but have to agree with you on the rest. However (you knew there had to be a however), I think Travis did peak and go downhill, just not very far downhill after about 10, and Hansen chose to end the Brandstetter series before his did. I haven't read the last Tanner or two, but did he end his series, too? As a matter of fact, wasn't Tanner supposed to die at the end of Past Tense before Greenleaf decided not to?

Now there's a question, how many PIs were supposed to die but given a reprieve by their authors? How may survived their own Final Problem?

I think it was Gerald who speculated that Parker might have been supposed to die. Pronzini has said Nameless was slated to die of cancer after Blowback. Has Greenleaf ever said that Tanner wasn't supposed to survive Past Tense or is it just rumor? Any others?

Mark