RARA-AVIS: career and peak

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

I have been thinking about comparing Robert Parker to Raymond Chandler. In baseball a man named Bill James founded the 'science' of sabrematics which used all relavant statistics to evaluate a player rather than just using a the few used in the past. That has nothing to do with literature, however, in his book assessing the greatest all-time players James thought of comparing them by two standards - career and peak. So you can compare Parker to Chandler by using only both of their first seven books for a peak, but when you compare all their careers you have to use all their books. Since Chandler wrote only the seven his peak and career would be the same. When you throw in Parker's later books I think everybody on this list would agree the his career quality would not measure up. Mark .