RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

Mark,

I think Parker's published so regularly because he wants to stay in the public eye. We've never said, "Where'd he go? I wish he were still writing" about Parker. No doubt he was aware of Chandler's dropoff and wanted to avoid a similar fate. And he may be thinking, *If I can't avoid a dropoff, I'll at least avoid disappearing.* On some level, he may believe he hasn't dropped off *because* he's stayed in sight.

IMO, Spenser's storyline--different from Parker's form--peaked with VALEDICTION (1984). Susan has left him; Spenser becomes edgy and reckless, and takes a bullet in the end. I've heard this is the only book Parker was asked to revise. Maybe he'd decided to kill off Spenser, and his editor convinced him not to. If Parker had stopped with VALEDICTION, his career quality would surpass Chandler.

Gerald