RE: RARA-AVIS: homophobia in HB

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

any author that comes off sorta uh... "manly" risks the label of closet homosexual. hemingway went thru it about 8 years ago in a biography that i don't care to read.

stereotyping has been seen in a lot of solid literature. hemingway was criticized for his treatment of women. and shakespeare could catch hell today for his writing about jews, blacks, AND women.

"rampant" (hahaha... the phrase doesn't bother me, carrie) stereotyping is a shortcoming that obscures truth and weakens a work, but writing that bends to political fashion isn't literature (don't like "literature?... substitute
"worth a damn"), either.

miker

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of BaxDeal@aol.com Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 1:51 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: homophobia in HB