Re: RARA-AVIS: Doolittle's Tom Bethany

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2001

Gerald So asked,

> More comments on Doolittle?

I have read all six even though after thethird or fourth, I resolved stop . I guess the Boston connection impelled me to me buy one I hadn't read if I happened to see it at a ubs. Though not similar in any other way, the books remind me of the late Robert Campbell's . La-La Land books because, like Whistler, Bethany had his base of operations in a diner. Bethany's was in Harvard Square.. As the series went on I think Bethany became more mean spirited and paranoid. Doolittle made him so contemptuous of his opposition and able to defeat it, there was no suspense. in the outcome or enjoyment of his prevailing

I thought the last one was particularly odious, but if people you want to read about a protagonist who only uses wrestling moves and holds to defeat his opponents they can try Stranglehold. Mark