RARA-AVIS: An ignoramus enquires....

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 24 Oct 2001

Pursuing my current mad project of investigating all my personal 20th century crime writing gaps, I recently bought a 2nd hand paperback of an old 87th Precinct novel called - wait a minute while I look in the waste paper basket - Cop Hater (1956). A long time ago, admittedly. I believe that the author went on to write a number of others, and that a lot of people liked them??

Is or was Ed McBain a real person, or a syndicate? As the series continued, did the books become more interesting/less adolescent? Could some enthusiast here suggest a probably-more-recent title which I could try without being assured of groaning repeatedly and falling asleep in Chapter 6, right in the middle of the unconvincing sex scene?

Marianne