RARA-AVIS: Hawk and Fisher: Hardboiled Fantasy

From: Afterburner ( afterburner@global-tetrahedron.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2001

        This may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I figured I'd toss it out there just in case...

        Several years ago, I was browsing the SF/Fantasy section of my local bookstore when I ran across a couple of books about a couple of hard-boiled, cynical, world-weary-yet-noble city guards trying to fight for truth and justice in a dangerous and corrupt city. The setting seemed to be your typical swords and sorcery setting, and both magical mayhem and violence at arms were the orders of the day.

        For reasons which now elude me, I didn't pick up those books then. Years later, when I'd decided I wanted to buy 'em, they were out of print. And so I moved on, and dreamt of what might have been.

        Well, they've just been reprinted in order to pave the way for a new book in the series. Even better, the original six novels have been reprinted in a two-volume set: Swords of Haven and Guards of Haven. The author's name is Simon R. Green.

        Hawk and Fisher, the two protagonists, are an island of honesty in a sea of corruption. The city they work in is described as the most corrupt and dangerous city in the "Low Kingdoms." They are not PIs, but given that the city guard they work for is often corrupt, they frequently have to take the law into their own hands to mete out justice. There's definitely a noir-ish feel, since Haven is a cesspool of corruption and vice.

        There is a prequel book recently released called "Blue Moon Rising," in which Prince Rupert and Princess Julia have to save their kingdom from a powerful magical threat. This book is NOT a hard-boiled mystery, and is apparently your typical swords and sorcery fare.

        The latest book is "Beyond the Blue Moon," in which it is revealed that Princess Rupert and Princess Julia are in fact none other than Hawk and Fisher. They are called away from their guard duties to once again save their kingdom. This book apparently does have an actual murder mystery as the main plot element, although I get the impression that there's a lot of swords-and-sorcery shennanigans as well.

        If you are, like me, an avid aficianado of stories which mix genres, you may want to grab these books before they go out of print again.

        If you're not a big fan of genre-mixing, feel free to disregard this message in its entirety. =)

        Oh, and my apologies if I'm inadvertently covering well-trodden ground.

        AB