Re: RARA-AVIS: Westlake as Coe and Block as Block

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2001

Re Craig's post below:

> Tobin struck me as a character very similar to
> Parker, although
> he's on the side of right. He's a no-nonsense,
> hard-nosed guy
> who insists that he won't do anything shady when
> he's hired
> to find out who killed a crime boss' mistress and
> stole some
> money, and he holds to this . . .

When I read my first Matt Scudder book (it was one of the first Block wrote; probably TIME TO MURDER AND CREATE), I was struck by the similarities between Tobin and Scudder. Both former NYPP officers with unhappy professional pasts that left them psychologically damaged. Both operating as unofficial private eyes. Event he tone of the first person narration seemed similar.

JIM DOHERTY