Re: RARA-AVIS: PI out of water (was: the black ice)

From: Joe Dante ( joe_dante@crosswinds.net)
Date: 01 Oct 2001

At 10/1/01 10:15 AM, Duane Spurlock wrote:
>The newest Burke novel by Andrew Vacchs takes the anti-hero to the Pacific
>Northwest. I haven't read it yet, though.

It works very well, he does a great job of detailing how Burke must adapt to survive there. The previous Burke novel had the character all over the place and that wasn't bad either.

>And DOWN IN THE ZERO takes place mostly outside of NYC, in the suburbs,
>and Burke seems to work in his usual fashion without stumblng too badly.

Not to mention Burke's first foray outside of NYC, Blossom. I thought he handled the rural settings pretty well.

Also I think John D. MacDonald did a pretty fair job of taking Travis McGee out of FL every now and then.

Joe Dante NY, NY