Re: RARA-AVIS: early woman h-b writers

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Sep 2001

George,

Re your post below:

> . . . I'm interested in earlier woman h-b
> writers--the true female pioneers in the field, so
> speak. Any suggestions on who I might seek out as
> belonging to this group?

The obvious one is Leigh Brackett, who co-wrote the script fot THE BIG SLEEP and wrote a great PI novel called NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE.

Another good one is Dolores Hitchens. A very versatile writer, she wrote cozies under her maiden name, D.B. Olsen. Under her married name she wrote two very good PI novels about a character named Jim Sader, SLEEP WITH SLANDER and another one with the word "Sleep" in the title. She also wrote a good series of police procedurals in collaboration with her husband, Bert Hitchens, who was a cop himself.

NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE, the Sader novels, and the Hitchens' collaborative cop novels are all set in the LA area, so they tie in with this month's theme.

JIM DOHERTY