Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reading

From: Mark Sullivan (
Date: 20 Aug 2001

Bill asked:

"Are there any other boks about the business world by hardboiled writers?"

Bill, considering the way you have praised Jason Starr in the past, I can't believe you didn't mention Cold Caller.

Not a book, but written by noirish writer Andrew Klavan (well, at least his books written as Keith Peterson; I haven't read those under his own name), the movie Shock to the System, about a man's cuthroat means to get ahead in his company.

Which is similar to Donald Westlake's The Ax, about how to get a new job.

And an argument could be made that some of the hardboiled books set at newspapers would qualify.