RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2001

Just finished Jack O'Connell's WIRELESS, and though I don't think it's a one-hundred percent successful effort, it's very unusual and well worth reading. Sort of like Twin Peaks crossed with Dennis Lehane and injected with a bit of Don Delillo, the plot revolves around radio enthusiasts and radio "jammers", but really it's got a lot of postmodern concerns: the search for patterns, reliablility of symbols, whether the world is meaningful or meaningless, etc. I think it goes on a bit too long, and like many writers of this type O'Connell isn't satisfied to simply make his points, he feels he has to hammer it into the ground and bury the nailhead. Still, the narrative is extremely readable, and O'Connell is a very evocative writer, even very exciting at times.

Now reading Prather's KUBLA KHAN CAPER. I've decided the Shell Scotts are very hit-or-miss, but this looks to be one of the good ones.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com