Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Recycling

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jul 2001

--- Graham Powell < bleekerbooks@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "Pat Zeitoun" < pwz@tca.net>
> >"Incidentally, any fan of HB material who has not
> read
> >Block is really missing out."
> >Indeed, and IMO 'The Sacred Gin Mill' is the best.
> I've heard that this and "Eight Million Ways To Die"
> make up the Absolutely
> Essential Block, so of course I haven't made it
> through either one.

This is a first for me: I'm quoting someone quoting someone quoting me. If I think about that any longer, I'm going to need a nap.

Yes, I agree that these are the essential Block novels, although I enjoy practically anything he writes. I would add to that short list his book on writing, "Telling Lies for Fun and Profit" to anyone interested in the craft, especially as applied by Block. It is hands-down the best book on writing I've ever read.

His others on the subject--including "Writing the Novel from Plot to Print" and "Spider, Weave Me a Web" are good, but hardly compare to "Telling Lies."

G.