Re: RARA-AVIS: Themes of the Months & Gangsters

From: Philip Benz ( Philip.Benz@wanadoo.fr)
Date: 28 Jun 2001

William wrote:
> Suggestions for
> future themes are welcome.

I've been reading Jonathan Munby's _Public Heroes, Public Enemies, Screening the Gangster from Little Caesar to Touch of Evil_ and wondered whether y'all might want to put some gangster-related novels on the reading list.

I'd also like to know if anyone can recommend an inexpensive book that would include texts of early Hays Code press releases, newspaper articles and the like, things like the 1935 moratorium on Gangster film production that Munby talks about several times. Sure, I'll probably be farming his numerous footnotes, but if there were one definitive book on the Hays Code's ins & outs with censorship, I thought youse guys would be the ones to tell me about it.

Cheers, --- Phil Lyc饠Astier, Aubenas, France