Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mario Taboada (
Date: 18 Apr 2001

Reading this now and it's simply excellent, one of the very best Blocks I've ever stumbled across.>>

Seconded. This one, and _The Girl with the Long Green Heart_ (1965 Gold Medal, reprinted as a hardcover by Five Star in 1999) are my favorite Block novels. He's gone in other directions, most notably the Scudder and Rhodenbarr series, but I think he's at his best in his short stories and in one-off novels such as the above.

I am surprised that Black Lizard never took up Block's early work. It fits in perfectly within that series.