Re: RARA-AVIS: Cockfighter on DVD

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 12 Mar 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, William Denton wrote:

> I watched COCKFIGHTER last night, and it's a good movie. Seeing all the
> fighting and bloody chickens makes it pretty clear why it lost money,
> though.

Have you read Roger Corman's memoirs? He writes, in capitals: "NOBODY WANTS TO SEE A COCKFIGHTING FILM." This is the only movie Corman lost his money on, but he tried to make it big. He took it out of the circulation, gave it another name and hired Joe Dante to direct a new trailer. Dante tells that he tried make it look like an action movie and he even added a scene in which a helicopter bursts into flames! Dante:
"No one would remember that any more when they see the film." But this didn't work, so "Cockfighter" is a shame in Corman's categories.

Juri