R: RARA-AVIS: Vernon Warren's "Runaround" (Mark Brandon, PI)

From: Manuela Selvi ( manuelaselvi@tiscalinet.it)
Date: 07 Mar 2001

Vernon Warren had a short period of popularity here in Italy in the late Fifties - early Sixties. As many as seven or eight of his books were issued by Italian publishing houses, and for a short while it looked like he could become a household name. It didn't happen. At that time, Italian publishers were trying hard to find less expensive alternatives to the big American names. That's the reason why, in those years, we could find large quantities of P.I. books written by Englishmen
(Warren) or Australians (Bevis Winter). The most successful British P.I. writer in Italy during the Sixties was Hartley Howard, the creator of Bowman, an extremely popular character to Italian readers then.

Luca Conti

luca.con@tiscalinet.it luconti@tin.it

gialloWeb:

http://digilander.iol.it/gialloweb/

The Hampton Hawes Web Site:

http://www.ifnet.it/lunati/conti/hawes.htm
-----Messaggio originale----- Da: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]Per conto di Henry Gaskin Inviato: mercoledė · marzo 2001 0.31 A: rara-avis@icomm.ca Oggetto: RARA-AVIS: Vernon Warren's "Runaround" (Mark Brandon, PI)

Anybody here ever read anything by Vernon Warren? I just finished his 1958 novel "Runaround", featuring his Chicago PI Mark Brandon. The writing is not bad, a little Chandler-esque ("Sleep? Who wanted to sleep, it's for permanent when you're dead, and everyone dies. But eventually.") It's published by the Thriller Book Club Edition (Gifford), and lists a number of other Mark Brandon mysteries: The Blue Mauritius, Brandon Takes Over, Bullets for Brandon, etc...as well as 4 other Warren mysteries
(non-Brandon). I can't find any references to the PI or the author on the internet? I figured someone here would know. I'd like to know about the author (maybe a pseudonym?) and his other books.

Thanks, Hank