RARA-AVIS: Re: Pure Pulp

From: Tobin Fields ( drspecter@juno.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2001

Looking through the contents page, the standouts for me are:

 Fredric Brown's Obit For Obie: This is a great novella with strong characterization. In fact, he expanded this into a novel (THE DEEP END) without adding much to the plot. Actually, I prefer the novella (though the novel has one very disturbing twist not found here.) Probably my favorite of Fredric Brown's short pieces-- he's strongest as a novelist.

Leigh Brackett's Design For Dying: Tight plotting, and very hardboiled. Brackett tends to be a high point in any collection she's included in. That dame can WRITE!

David Goodis' It's a Wise Cadaver: The only really funny Goodis I've read, and packs a punch, too. Have Goodis' short stories been collected? Are there enough of them?

On the whole, I remember this being a pretty good collection, though not as good as THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF PULP FICTION. -That's the book that made me an addict.