RE: RARA-AVIS: Willeford's The Black Mass of Brother Springer

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 31 Jan 2001

Don't know ... a fictional piece of writing is hardly evidence of a person's thoughts on a topic. It can be. Reminds me of a an article on literature and symbology that was in Harpers Magazine a few years ago and featured some comments from Amy Tan. In one of her stories she writes about a moon rising. During a convention a young lady caught her ear and went on to tell Ms. Tan about her dissertation based on her work and her analysis of how the moon rising reflected the empowerment a female or the female characters were striving for and slowly obtaining ... she went on and on about her dissertation built all around this symbology that Ms. Tan has used, etc.

Ms. Tan tells us she politely nodded as the young lady went on and then let us know in the article ... it was just a moon rising.

The interpretation of the symbology within that simple moon rising is still legit and may relate to Jung's concepts of a collective unconscious where Ms. Tan wrote unknowing of universal archetypical image that contains the meaning the young woman found in it. However, when it comes to using the words of an author as evidence that they believe such and such. I think we go to far at that point. Is Harris a cannibal and serial killer or support cannibalism and serial killers by writing about them? I should hope not. Was Jim Thompson a sociopath himself? Applying the words an author sews together to tell a story to a belief system will at times be correct ... there's no doubt in my mind for example that Andrew Vachss really doesn't like child abusers for example. But that's a proven fact based upon his life outside the jacket covers of his writing. Some of George Pelecanos's heroes are drunks and drug abusers ... are we supposed to assume that he believes in and supports heavy drinking and drug use? He can answer for himself in this case, but until he does I'll doubt it.

Could "The Black Mass of Brother Springer" be Willeford's view on religion or the religion he experienced? Sure ... but in the end does it even matter?

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"... down these mean streets a man must go
 who is not himself mean, who is neither
 tarnished or afraid."

            --Raymond Chandler (1888-1959)

Hardboiled