RE: RARA-AVIS: Whip Hand

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 31 Jan 2001

Juha wrote:

"BLACK MASS seems to be somewhat elusive a title; haven't had the chance of reading it yet. For whatever bizarre reason I imagine it having a kinship to Robert Duvall's film THE APOSTLE."

It's been a few years since I read it, but Black Mass doesn't really have much in common with Apostle. For all of his faults, Robert Duvall's character really does see himself as working for the Lord. The lead in Black Mass is far more cynical (in that way, it draws comparison to Elmer Gantry), he just sees it as an opportunity to make some money, then take up with a girl in the congregation. Hell, the only reason he became a preacher was because a guy took pity on a veteran looking for a job.

Mark