RE: RARA-AVIS: Matsumoto, cont.,` and Murakami

From: sakana@stlnet.com
Date: 11 Dec 2000

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is one of my favorite books of all time. i must say, though, that i don't think it's actually very hard-boiled at all. briefly, it alternates 2 stories, one of a fantasy world (for want of a better term) and the other of the modern world which, in turn, starts to become a sort of fantasy. i suppose the hard-boiled aspect of the book comes from the fact that main character is constantly being threaten or directed for reasons he cannot fathom. his life is very much out of his own hands, but he doesn't know why. a truly phenomenal reading experience.

martha fischer sakana@stlnet.com <mailto: sakana@stlnet.com>