RARA-AVIS: Kent Anderson

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2000

Among my recent reads was: Night Dogs by Kent Anderson
(1996), which was strongly recommended by some reliable readers. And they were right! It is a first class novel, thick but not... long, dark and violent, but without complacency. It's an impressionist portrait of the protagonist, Hanson, a street cop in Portland - Oregon who faces a merciless street world, wherein fate is nothing more than odds, and who's trying to overcome his nihilist view of human society he held since his participation to the Vietnam war. It's a novel with real depth but achieving this without being condescending. A very talented writer, a highly recommended "crime" novel!

Anderson wrote a previous novel: Sympathy for the Devil. I'm inclined to read it as well. Do some of you know this book? Any comments on that one? Thanks for any clue.

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384