RARA-AVIS: McGee, Tobin, Cain

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 29 Nov 2000

Juri's right: I'm a fan of Alan Caillou's books about Tobin's Army (I don't remember Tobin's first name, but his rank was Colonel) and Cabot Cain, the giant genius who deals in likelihoods. They were fast-paced fun, as I remember them.

And I'm also one of the few who saw DARKER THAN AMBER in the theater. I wish I could say that I was 13 when I saw it, but I was considerably older and had been a MacDonald fan for a good while. One scene that I recall, other than the climactic fight, is the one where McGee/Taylor is sitting in a restaurant and the woman who's been hit by a car comes flying through the window and lands on his table. I thought Taylor did a valiant job of trying to be McGee, but he just wasn't right for the role. For that matter, neither was Sam Elliot in the McGee movie that Stirling Silliphant did the screenplay for. Silliphant went on to do his own version of McGee in a pretty good series of novels that also aped the McGee titles in a way. I remember that BRONZE BELL was one of them.

Bill Crider