Re: RARA-AVIS: knighthood?

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 30 Nov 2000

As I rambled on at length about in my PhD thesis, The Lady in the Lake is an obvious reference to the Arthurian legend, though the actual vision of the lady as she rises from the lake is reversed in Chandler, where instead of being something marvellous (Tennyson's poem describes it as "clothed in white samite, mystic, wonderful") the lady is a rotting corpse whose hand flops over as she reaches the surface. Actually the whole scene where Marlowe arrives at the lake is a parody of the Malory/Tennyson versions.

Cheers Chris