Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's opinion of James M Cain

From: KS ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 11 Nov 2000

> Does anyone have an opinion on this? I think Cain was right when he said
> "I think my stories have some quality of the opening of a forbidden box,
> and it
> is this, rather than the violence, sex, ... that gives them the drive so
> often noticed."

> Wouldn't Chandler be making these statements to lay off criticism directed
> at his own work? It's either "You think I'm bad, but take a look at this
> guy," or "My genre's not so bad, it's just got a bad rep from writers like
> this." Anyway, these internal contradictions are what make the genre so
> interesting.

No question Chandler was a prude. His attitude toward pronography and adolescent hi-jinx in The Big Sleep. A product of his time. Imagine trying to get ahead today without having been stoned and photographed naked at least once. Personally, I like sex and violence. Can't turn the pages in that forbidden box quickly enough. As for ranking Cain, Chandler and MacDonald- why?

Kerry Schooley

> --

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>