Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Hugh Lessig ( hlessig@earthlink.net)
Date: 08 Nov 2000

I've only read one Vachss novel, but it's full of stuff. One my favorites:

Burke, the PI, can change license plates on his car, and do it legally. He owns 10 percent interest in a junkyard. The owner keeps him on at minimal salary and lets him have a set of dealer plates in case he ever sees something worth salvaging. Burke gets a monthly salary and gives it back to the owner.

Another one (although I'm not sure I have this right.)

An experienced burglar will start with the bottom drawer and move up, instead of starting at the top and moving down. It saves time. Burke, I believe, kept the lip of his bottom drawer lined with a razor blade.

Hugh Lessig