RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Bleed272@aol.com
Date: 05 Nov 2000

I have a favor to ask of the Rara Avis brain trust... but one that might actually be fun.

I'm a writing a story for Men's Health magazine (where I work) about all of the cool practical tips/advice that I've picked up from reading hardboiled detective novels over the years--everything from how to sweet talk someone to how mix a perfect cocktail to how to get out of a sticky situation.

Anyone have a favorite bit of practical wisdom I should be including? In exchange, you'd receive mention in the magazine, a copy when it appears next March, and of course, my eternal gratitude.

Try as I might, I'm having trouble remembering all of the amazing things I've picked up in P.I. novels over the years (he says, lighting a match from his thumbnail and drinking deeply from a tumbler of Plymouth gin).

Best,

Duane Swierczynski