Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2000

The Travis McGee novels are full of all sorts of interesting information. Just a few things off the top of my head:

Hide money in a car -- hammer dents in car. Insert plastic-wrapped money. Cover money with goopy filler. Bake filler solid. Sand and smooth, then match paint.
(From ONE FEARFUL YELLOW EYE.)

Quick but effective ways to truss somebody up
--Electrical tape (LONG LAVENDER LOOK). Superglue
(LONELY SILVER RAIN).

LONG LAVENDER also has a careful explanation of throwing knives -- the principles behind them, the mechanics, etc.

Good way to get rid of a hangover -- long beach run.
(Forget which book has this, and frankly, I have my doubts. I favor a greasy cheeseburger and fries -- if you can keep it down.)

There's lots more -- unfortunately I'm moving soon and all my books are packed away.

One non-McGee -- according to Crumley's LAST GOOD KISS, if you want to shoot somebody in the foot, make him stand on a phonebook.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com