Re: RARA-AVIS: Get Carter

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 10 Oct 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 billha@ionet.net wrote:

> Looks like no one is actually going to see the new "Get Carter," so
> I'll quote from a review from today's Dallas Morning News. The headline is
> "Stallone slums it in 'Carter,'" and the film is immediately compared to Mel
> Gibson's Payback as another film based on a old "seedy crime yarn" that will
> make money. However, the protagonist comes to a different end than in the
> original (oops, spoiler). The writer (Chris Vognar) observes, "Suffice it to
> say that nihilistic climaxes just don't play well in this brand new century."
> Michael Caine has a cameo in this film.

The original is a great film, something the big studios just couldn't do nowadays: a crime film that really requires careful watching. The narrative is elliptical, as is proper for hardboiled fiction, and there are no exciting climaxes which they now depend on. I just don't want to see the original film to be ruined.

Juri