Re: RARA-AVIS: Bargain Stories

From: Jim Roberts ( jamesroberts@earthlink.net)
Date: 18 Sep 2000

Mbdlevin@aol.com wrote:

> The best bargain story is not mine, but I heard it from the man. ...
> Dennis McMillan bought a copy of The Hard-Boiled Omnibus for something like
> $7 or $9. As soon as he had completed his transaction, he showed the store
> owner the title page, which had been inscribed from Shaw to Hammett. ...

I've had a couple notable finds though none as striking as Dennis'. I once bought a copy of *The Smiling Corpse* by "Anonymous" (AKA Philip M. Wylie) at a good will store for a buck. No dust jacket and battered but still a rare find. And back a couple years ago, just when eBay was just getting underway, I bid on and won two or three Fred Brown titles. I guess my inflated bid made the seller happy because as an added bonus, he tossed in a beautiful copy of the Lion-published softback *The Golden Gizmo* by Jim Thompson. It was nearly mint with a supple cover, not a dent, scratch nor seam on it.

Of course, a few months later I needed money for one of the kids braces or a car payment or something, and auctioned those and some other scarcities off at eBay. While I got a very fair price, I've still been booting myself ever since.

Ah, the lot of the struggling government employee . . .

--
jim roberts
Freedom lies in being bold!