RARA-AVIS: Bargain Stories

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 17 Sep 2000

Congratulations to Terrill Lankford--great story. Post the address of your store.

The best bargain story is not mine, but I heard it from the man. I'm sure others have heard it too--it's got to be at the top of hard-boiled purchasing annals--so correct me if I'm a bit off. Some time in the 1980s, I think, Dennis McMillan bought a copy of The Hard-Boiled Omnibus for something like
$7 or $9. As soon as he had completed his transaction, he showed the store owner the title page, which had been inscribed from Shaw to Hammett. I believe he later sold the book to Penzler for a tad more than he had paid. Doug