Re: RARA-AVIS: A.S. Fleischman

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 05 Sep 2000

Juri Nummelin wrote:

> I know, but is this the same guy? I would say so and claim that
> IMDB has made a (huge?) mistake. Anyone? ("Ride the High Country" is
> Peckinpah's second film, also known as "Guns in the Afternoon".)
>
> Juri

In Marshall Fine's book BLOODY SAM he states: "THE DEADLY COMPANIONS began life as a screenplay, which lanquished on shelves all over Hollywood for three years. The script had been written by A.S. Fleishman and promoted by Charlse FitzSimons, his partner. Unable to get asy action on it, Fleishman wrote a novelization, which was published with surprising success. The script that the studios previously had turned their noses up at suddenly smelled pretty good."

Fleishman, FitzSimons and FitzSimon's sister, Maureen O'Hara formed their own production company and produced the picture. They hired Brian Keith as the lead and he brought Peckinpah onto the movie because they had worked so well together on their TV series, THE WESTERNER.

BTW, Fleishman's novelization was entitled YELLOWLEG. Is this the guy you're looking for?

TL