Re: RARA-AVIS: Estleman and Valin

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2000

Craig wrote:

"Jonathan Valin was one of my favorites. I say "was" because he's apparently stopped writing detective novels. _Dead Letter_ isn't perhaps the best of the Harry Stoner series . . . But earlier entries like _The Lime Pit_ and _Natural Causes_, as well as some of the later books in the series, such as _Extenuating Circumstances_, are among the best of the modern hardboiled detective books out there. Valin does a great job, too, of bringing the city of Cincinnati, the series' location, to vivid life."

I agree with this positive estimation of Valin's Harry Stoner series
(and, for that matter, of Estleman's Macklin series), but the anal part of me has to note that Dead Letter was actually one of the earlier entries, between Lime Pit and Natural Causes.

Mark