Re: RARA-AVIS: Once more into the breech...

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2000

>I'm just curious about "the
> imitator" and whether such a figure can ever produce
> good work.

Weren't Ross Macdonald's early novels self-confessed Chandler knock-offs (or modeled closely on the style, I should say)? He went on to find a unique voice. Something different, but it has put him in the upper rank of hard-boiled writers, too. Yeah, some imitators are able to push past that and come into their own later. NOw I'll have to go think of more than one name....

Neil Smith