RARA-AVIS: Re: Once more into the breech. . . .

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2000

Bill--

>This hardboiled women writers question comes up a fair bit and never gets
resolved. We'll all have to
>make do with our own opinions, I suppose, and see if any writers who are
recommended make us
>adjust. I haven't read any Dorothy B. Hughes yet, but I think that's where
I'll start looking, then Marcia
>Muller.

Good luck with Marcia Muller; she's getting softer and softer as the series goes on. (The last couple have been more "about" Sharon looking for herself than about anything else.) I'd have to agree with Kevin and Jim that Sue Grafton (particularly "G", "K", and "M", for what it's worth) is as hardboiled as just about anyone and more so, certainly, than (say) Robert Parker, who's reguarly discussed here.

Vicky