Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert L. Pike

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 08 Aug 2000

Juri Nummelin:

> I've been reading Robert L. Pike's (AKA Robert L. Fish) police novels. I
> just finished "Bank Job" and am now in the middle of "Gremlin's
> Grampa" (not sure if that's right). A while back I read "Police
> Blotter". Is anyone familiar with these? In the first two, the
> protagonist is James Reardon and in "Police Blotter" there is the same
> Clancy that appeared in "The Mute Witness" on which "Bullitt" was based
> on. Any opinions on Pike's novels?

I read a few of them -- "Mute Witness", "The Quarry" and "Police Blotter" -- a couple of years ago. I was not too impressed by any of them. They weren't that bad though, just unexceptional. Mostly they made me think of how much better Ed McBain is on this sort of thing. "Bullitt" is one of those cases where the movie is much better than the book.