Re: RARA-AVIS: Beck Adaptations

From: Jim Beaver (
Date: 12 Jul 2000

> Since it's under discussion and the star died last week, I thought I would
> mention (as most probably know) that The Laughing Policeman, arguably the
> best of the series, was made into an American film in 1974 of the same
> Walter Matthau stars and the setting is moved to San Francisco. I've
> seen it. Is it worth a look? Doug L.

I think so. It's pretty grim and dry, much like the Beck books (I mean in terms of the characters' outlook on life and work, not the writing itself). I thought Matthau was terrific as Beck. I missed the Swedish setting, but the film is not a bad little movie nonetheless.

Matthau, BTW, said he always preferred his dramatic roles, and this is a really good example of one.

Jim Beaver

# To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to
# The web pages for the list are at .