Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Crit

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 05 Jun 2000

southpaw@altavista.net wrote:

> I just came upon this intriguing list today -- is anyone familiar with
> any of the following author or books of (mostly) hardboiled/noir
> criticism? If so, which of these can you recommend?
> Bloody Murder:From the Detective Story to the Crime Novel
> Author: Symons, Julian

This is a pretty entertaining and provocative history of the whole genre. There's not much about other hardboiled writers than Hammett, Chandler, Ross Macdonald and Latimer. Westlake, John MacDonald and couple other guys get a brief, cynical mention, and Symons hates Spillane, Peter Cheyney and James Hadley Chase. Symons does like police procedurals and he especially favours Ed McBain and also Chester Himes, about whom he cannot decide whether to call his books police novels or what. But Symons has read so much we know nothing about and he makes up a cohesive history, so this is highly recommended.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi