Re: RARA-AVIS: Gaboriau and ex(?)-cons

From: Keith Deutsch ( keithdeutsch@earthlink.net)
Date: 02 May 2000

------Original Message------ From: Juri Nummelin < jurnum@utu.fi> To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Sent: May 2, 2000 6:09:50 PM GMT Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed Bunker and ex(?)-cons

Dear Juri,

I'm not having a good day re memory, but as I recall, Gaboriau (?sp) was a talented self-exploitor whose exploits for the French police are contested by scholars. Some say he was a pretty accurate reporter. Others say his memory (like mine recently) was faulty---or he was a brilliant fabricator. As I recall he created an indexing system that is the forerunner of modern police archival methods. If he be the same fellow I read about, I know he influenced Poe. I thought that there was recent evidence, however, that Dickens inspiration was a series of real newspaper acounts. (Another technique that influenced Poe--although he was a famous hoaxer, also).

All this remains untrustworthy information. My files are not with me.

Keith

You mean Gaboriau, who wrote his memoirs early in the 19th century and became sort of a example for Poe and Dickens, like you said.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi

< keithdeutsch@earthlink.net>
< KeithAlanDeutsch@aol.com>