RE: RARA-AVIS: Re:Hardboiled Music

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

Doug sed:

> It's cliched as all hell, but one album that strikes
> me as having that intangible "something" we associate
> with hb is the Stones's EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

I can't agree more with this. I'd go further and deem Exile noir, even. This album is so decadent, reeking of side alleys and booze and drugs. Robert Frank's photography on the album goes further to illustrate the noir ambience behind it. And the sound is incredibly murky and layered. I bought this in '72 when I was 15 and I still don't get tired of listening to it.

This is a noir soundtrack if there ever was one!

Thanks fro bringing it up, Doug.

Tribe