RE: RARA-AVIS: Using film noir in the classroom

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 09 Apr 2000

At 09:53 PM 4/9/00 -0500, martha wrote:
>well, actually you can, at least according to the way the rules have been
>explained at the school where i teach. you can do it once and call it
>spontaneous, meaning you didn't have time to get the rights...

  Maybe not. He is writing from the jusrisdiction of France, which has enacted some fairly radical (compared to U.S. law) provisions regarding Artist's Rights. Although I am not familiar with the interpretation he cites, I have seen enough other decisions out of there that I find it credible. Quite a different emphasis than in the States.

                                  James