RARA-AVIS: Female PI's

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 20 Mar 2000

There were couple of messages about the first female PI. It's not Honey West or any other fifties gal, since Theodore Tinsley and Cleve F. Adams, pulpsters both, wrote in the thirties about female detectives. Tinsley wrote about Carrie Cushin and Adams about Violet Dade. Where these characters appeared, I don't know. There was also a female masked avenger called Domino Lady and there was even a magazine devoted to her.

I mentioned earlier another fifties female PI. She's Seven Anderton's Edna Pender, who has Steve Ware as her sidekick. Pender has big breasts and tight clothes and she's very skillful with a gun. She shoots in the knee and the ear before she hits the place "where it really feels". The Pender stories appeared in Famous Detective Stories from 1951 to 1954. Seven Anderton wrote for some other magazines, too.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi