Re: RARA-AVIS: Mystery and Mercenaries

james.doherty@gsa.gov
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:10:49 -0600

Pat Z "would like to know if there are any writers on soldiers of fortune or mercenaries, particularly those set in Africa." Alan Caillou, who's been mentioned on this list already, did a paperback series in the late
'60s, early '70s called "The Private Army of Major Tobin." At least, I think Tobin was the name of the main character, but the publisher was Pinnacle. There was also an Edgar-nominated book by A.J. Quinnel, the name of which escapes, about a professional soldier who takes on the Mafia in Sicily after they murder a little girl he's grown attached to. It was made into a movie with Scott Glenn. I understand Quinnel did a few sequels.

JIM DOHERTY