RE: RARA-AVIS: Umberto Eco on Spillane

Enrique Bird (ebird@gmgroup.com)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:03:52 -0400

Pat, friends,

Thanks for your note. Actually, I always thought that downtown originally referred to the opposite of your example of uptown; the not-high-class sector of the city, where houses and home-type businesses mix. Incidentally,
"el centro" is used similarily (but not meaning downtown) locally to describe a place like a mall "centro comercial" (although we are beginning to call them malls in Spanish conversations!" or a "centro cultural" cultural center(?) where a particular type of activity is concentrated.

Enrique F. Bird Pic󊼂R>