Re: RARA-AVIS: Loren Estleman

Timothy S. Oliver (CSEM@zianet.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:35:33 -0700

Bill Denton should have finished Never Street now. I didn't want to spoil the book for him while he was still enjoying it.

I enjoyed the first third too. In fact I thought it was good up until the way-stupid ending. But that business with the doctored film in the old theater was silly. The book could easily have ended about halfway through when Amos found the swag. It should have.

I think Kevin Burton Smith has the right idea. Estelman seems to have fallen into the dread "book-as-screenplay" trap.

I'm not giving up though. Never Street showed enough promise that I went out and bought The Witchfinder. The back cover says it was seven years between Never Street and the prior Amos Walker book. I'll be looking for the earlier ones.

So, Westlake revived Parker and Estleman revived Walker. Perhaps we are in a HB renaissance? I hope so.

Tim Oliver