Re: RARA-AVIS: Loren Estleman

a.n.smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:08:32 -0600

> So, Westlake revived Parker and Estleman revived Walker. Perhaps we are
> in a HB renaissance? I hope so.

And there are changes to Parker--married, older, perhaps more prone to doubt? As for Walker, hasn't changed a bit. Well, the times have, so it's strange to read the newer ones, especially Witchfinder. It tries so hard for that classic Chandler feel, and that's fine if he wants to do that and people want to read it, but it's a nostalgia trip. I guess I want the HB renaissance to be something new. Make it new. Recycle it, steal from it, learn from it, and give me hardboiled work I've never seen before. The new Parkers do that mildly, and that's good enough for me, but not the new Amos Walkers. My tastes.